2019 Application for South Hills High School Alumni Association Scholarship
Deadline – April 1, 2019
Due to the generosity and hard work of all members of the South Hills High School Alumni Association (SHHSAA), a limited number of scholarships are available to qualified candidates.
In order to be eligible to apply for a scholarship, a candidate must satisfy the following requirements:
1.Be related to a current member in good standing of the South Hills High School Alumni Association;
2.Graduate from high school in 2019, unless serving in the U.S. Armed Services under paragraph (3) below, and be accepted to attend a college, university, trade or technical school in 2019;
3.Be a high school student who delayed enrollment in a college, university, trade or technical school due to enlistment in any branch of the U.S. armed services provided (a) the enlistment immediately followed high school graduation, (b) the candidate served only one tour of duty in the armed services, and (c) the candidate has been accepted to attend a college, university, trade or technical school upon honorable discharge from the armed services;
4.Complete and sign the CANDIDATE INFORMATION/SPONSOR FORM and submit it with all responsive application material to the address below;
5.Have a CERTIFIED COPY of his/her high school transcript mailed by the high school directly to the address below:
a. Applications or Certified Transcripts received after April 1, 2019 or applications submitted without a Certified Transcript will not be considered.
b. Mail the Candidate Information/Sponsor Form with Application and supporting documentation in the same envelope to address below.
c. The Application materials, Candidate Information/Sponsor Form and Certified Transcript are to be mailed to the following address:
SHHSAA Scholarship Application
918 N. Meadowcroft Av
Pittsburgh PA 15216
After you complete the application, print and mail.
updated Feb 2, 2019
(Include your name, address and telephone number at the top of the page.)
The following criteria must be (1) addressed by each candidate in the order listed, (2) typed, and (3) submitted on 8 1/2 x 11 paper. Electronic submission is not acceptable.
- List all extra-curricular activities in which you participated while in high school. Include degree/years of participation, leadership positions held, and honors awarded. For example: athletics, plays, musicals, student government, etc.
- List all community activities in which you have been involved. Describe type of activity, time committed, and commendations or honors awarded. For example: scouts, volunteer work, church groups, etc.
- List any type of employment (employer/position or self-employed) during high school years and explain how this practical experience will benefit you as you continue your education. (Explain briefly)
- Describe your personal achievements during high school and any difficulties that you have overcome. (grades, health, family situations)
- In essay form, state specifically how you believe the post high school education you have chosen will prepare you to attain your life’s goals. If you have chosen a specific field of study, briefly tell us why you have made that choice. Your essay must be approximately 150 to 250 words in length.
List all schools to which you have been accepted and/or applied.
1. The deadline for receipt of the application, the completed Candidate Information/Sponsor Form and the Certified High School Transcript is April 1, 2019. All documents must be mailed. Facsimile or e-mail copies will not be accepted.
2. Please do not call about your application. If the Scholarship Committee has any questions, either you or the sponsoring SHHSAA member will be contacted.
3. The Committee will make its determination shortly after April 1, 2019.
4. Applications and supporting documents and transcripts received by the Committee will not be returned.
5. Do not enclose any photographs of yourself with your application.
Thank you for your interest in applying for a Scholarship from the South Hills High School Alumni Association!
This Article tells the story of the South Hills Scholarships available to relatives of SHHS Grads!
Download the Application and apply by April 1st